Saturday, March 19, 2011

You can pray for me if you want.

I don't believe in prayer. I should qualify that. I don't believe prayer works. Wait, that's not true either.

I don't believe that there's a guy "up there" somewhere with whom we can have conversations, and who has control over everything that happens and thus grants us wishes like fairies. I don't believe that you can ask your higher power for a special favor for me and he'll grant it or not. That also means I can't imagine an omnipotent being "looking down" and saying, "No. I won't answer your prayer; that child will die." It's a good thing! :) And I know that some people will say that "No" is an answer, but, no, it isn't. The favor is asked and denied, so what was ever the point? But I promised myself I wouldn't digress, so I won't.

It's always seemed silly to me, praying. I remember as a child wondering who he would hear first. It was kind of like a sale at Christmas; who can grab the shirt and make it to the checkout counter first?

That said, that's pretty linear thinking on my part. I believe positive thinking is a positive thing. I don't think it's a cure for anything, but I think it helps. Our bodies and the world are betraying us, so what's wrong with a little positive thought, whether it's for ourselves or for someone else?

So I'm not one of those atheists who will get up in arms if you say you'll pray for me. I'll appreciate you for thinking of me in a positive light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home